As the project progressed, i became very good friends with Celia - the laser cutter! I cut out hundreds of different varieties of intricate seaweed pieces to eventually be layered up as a wall covering. I wanted the final result to imply a feeling of movement, growth and protection, ironically almost the opposite to the process of damage i initially looked at!
The photos of this piece don't really do it justice. The most impressive parts were the scale and its overall texture. In hindsight, the charcoal was maybe a little bit too strong and if i did this piece again i would add more detail maybe use a variety of felts and natural fabrics to create a more accurate texture.
I also looked at repeating the individual seaweed units across the body to see how they sat.
|Variation on original design, repeated around a point on|
Illustrator to create an arched form.
I really like this additional use of the seaweed forms and they work especially well on the body at this scale. I have always had an interest in body adornments and i think this desire to work on the human body is growing more and more. The way in which i work using multiple units to create a whole really works well when applied to the human body. I think i will continue in this direction in third year.